Saturday, July 31, 2010

Found injured squirrel?? HELP!?

I looked out my window to find my family around a tree. I go outside and find a squirrel, its just sitting there. I can see it breathing, and it moved when a bug when on it.





My family doesn't want to do anything for it. What do I do? I can't drive! How can I take care of it?Found injured squirrel?? HELP!?
First of all, DO NOT TOUCH THE ANIMAL. It could be diseased and if you are bitten, heaven knows what could happen to you.





Second, look in your phone book for Animal Control or the nearest vet's office.Call them and tell them your situation, and see when the soonest they can come would be.





Third, keep watch on the squirrel (preferably from inside). If it leaves, call Animal Control back and tell them that it was a misunderstanding. If not, go to Step 4.





Finally, when Animal Control or the doctors get there, tell them everything you have seen so far. Let them do the rest.Found injured squirrel?? HELP!?
I guess most people never dealt with this situation in real life, I suppose...





Yes, call the cops and find out the number to call for your area. I'm sure the squirrel is gone, now, as this was 9 hours ago. In the future, if you find one, you can do this: get a broom, and a carrier and place the carrier next to the squirrel. Take a towel and drape it over the squirrel. Gently prod with the broom. If the squirrel can move, it will start to move. If it cannot move at all, lift the towel up with the handle. You can sort of scoop it in to the carrier with the broom.





The disease talk is nonsense. Squirrels do not carry diseases like bats or skunks. They do not carry rabies. They cannot give you diseases. The worst you could get from a squirrel by putting it in a carrier is a flea jumping to you.





Anyway, the reason I say most people haven't really dealt with this is because most times, animal control will not come for a squirrel. They make you call the rehabilitator, and the rehabilitator will specifically ask you to take the squirrel to them. Guess what? This involves picking up the squirrel! I've scruffed, with my bare hands, injured squirrels before. Do I recommend it? Of course not. But the towel, broom, and carrier method is best. Just be gentle.
WHAT EVER YOU DO, DO NOT PICK IT UP!!!!! i did this when i was little and it bit me. My parents got really scared and took the squirl to the vet to make sure it didnt have rabies. Really all you can do is put it in a box with food and water and check to see if there are any injuries or wounds. It most likely it will not survive.
Call your local police stations non- emergency number and see if they have any animal services. I did that when i found a baby bird in my yard. Or look in the phone book or online for animal services in your area.





good luck
Do some research in your area and see if you have a local wildlife rescue. If you do they can probably come out to you and trap and it nurse it back to health at their facilities.
Call animal control or a wildlife rehabilitator if it really is injured.





Don't touch it yourself because it may bite you or could be carrying a disease.
Call animal control or a nearby vet. But whatever you do, don't touch it or go near it. It may carry diesesse or bite you. It may also have rabbies.

No comments:

Post a Comment